Tuesday, December 2, 2008

An American Thanksgiving in Africa

With 5 volunteers from the Children’s Village being from the US, the Christensen family of 7 from the US and an American doctor we decided we should have a proper Thanksgiving celebration. We didn’t limit it to just the Americans though and invited everyone else – the Germans, South Africans, Brit and Canadian. My roommates were especially thrilled to be participating in their first true Thanksgiving. My German roommate Michael had to bite his hand to contain his excitement for all the food he was about to eat, and insisted that it should be a contest between us for who could eat the most. Meanwhile, my British roommate, Jonny, was so pumped on the idea that he even volunteered to make a proper English turkey, covered with bacon and filled with a pork and onion stuffing… yum, it turned out amazing.

All in all, we ended up with 25 or so people at our feast and 3 turkeys. Many of the girls took the day off to cook and treated us to some amazing dishes. We ended up with a wide variety of side dishes as everyone cooked their different family favorites. It really was a treat, and I ate so much I felt too sick to even attempt desert, which was a shame cause that was delicious too.

It was certainly weird not being home for the holiday, but I am grateful to have such a great group of people to share it with here. As we were hanging out that morning in my house as people cooked, Jonny asked if this felt like a real thanksgiving. We all kind of said no, since we were missing family and football and it was about 90 degrees outside, plus I had to work all day. As the day rolled on though, the wind and clouds came in and cooled things down and the feast and good fellowship made for a great Thanksgiving.

I have so much to be thankful for here. I thank God for giving me this opportunity and bringing me over here. I’m thankful for all of you who made this possible and continue to support me with your prayers as well as financially. I’m thankful to have been blessed with such a great family, community and friends back in the States. I’m thankful that the Lord has kept me and the other volunteers safe thus far. I’m thankful for my relationship with the kids, volunteers and managers here. I’m thankful for all of those who are being touched by the Spirit in this community. I praise God for the many blessings he poured out on me in the States, of which I was never fully aware till I got here. And finally I give thanks to God for sending his Son as the ultimate gift and sign of love to us.

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving and is enjoying the start of the holiday season. God Bless.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

you were definitly missed, thanksgiving just wasnt the same without you or the green bean dish, but you were in our prayers and thoughts the whole weekend. Not sure right now how to get through the christmas season without you near by, or pitching in on gifts with me. Love ya bro