So, to update everyone, I am not dieing of menigitis... I have a bit of a cold, but that is all. I am very worn out (which doesn't help the cold).
Anyway, the little boy who was in the hosiptal with meningitis is back with us, running and laughing, looking healthy and back to being very adorable. He is so happy to be back that he runs full speed at all the volunteers with a big smile just wanting to be held. The other big blessing was that nobody else came down with the disease! It was a tense time around here as anytime kids got sick we thought the worst, and kids are getting sick a lot now with the changing of the seasons. I also spent a lot of time on the phone and in the car to talk to doctors and public health officials to make sure we didn't need to all be treated. But it all worked out in the end. Thanks so much for all your prayers.
As for the rest of the two weeks without the manager, well, we held things together at least. The kids were brats at times and I yelled at a few of them on the last day like I've never yelled at them, but it was needed. The problem with being in charge as a volunteer is that I still don't have enough authority to really punish. I just don't know what to do with the kids besides tell them they were wrong and maybe send them to their house... but there are too many kids to keep an eye on and they know this so they listen to you tell them off and then go do whatever the heck they want again. The discipline issue is definitely something to be addressed, among other things.
There is no rest now though as we are down to 4 volunteers already and Lauren leaves in 2 weeks. Craziness. Today is a national holiday for Good Friday and supposed to be a chill day, but we were up early doing a Sunday School type thing for the kids and then Mike and I put in many hours of hard labour trying to fix up our trampolines. It's going to be crazy around here for a while. Pray for our energy, strength and health.
Happy Easter to everyone! Enjoy the holiday and take some time to reflect on the incredible events that we are celebrating and what they mean for us... a God who sent his Son to die for us and who then conquered the grave so that if we so choose we can be united with God in Heaven for eternity. Amen. He is risen!
Friday, April 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment