Sunday, January 25, 2009

The Berg

So after 4 months I finally got myself up to the Drakensberg mountains for a short trip. It's not a far drive so we headed up friday evening, crashed for 1 night and then got up early and hiked all day the next day before driving home. All 7 volunteers and Warren and Sungmin went on the trip with much anticipation and it certainly delivered.

We hiked up to the top of the Amphitheatre in the Northern Drakensberg area, via the Sentinel Dome trail. When we first started it was pretty cloudy and we were worried we wouldn't be able to see anything, but it turned into a beautiful day and was even a cool contrast of experiencing the way up in the mist and then the top and way down in the sun. The place is absolutely stunning. The mountains jut out of nowhere, causing giant sheer cliffs and skinny ridges. This time of year everything is also super green, which just makes it beautiful. Also, at the end of the hike is Tugela falls, the second highest falls in the world with a 3,110 ft drop... so that's pretty cool. You can only see the first part before there is a short cascade and its pretty skinny, but still stunning.

One of my favorite parts of the hike was that there is a set of chain ladders (think rope ladder from your tree house) that you climb up on the side of a cliff some 30 to 50 meters (heard different numbers, but you're hanging on the side of a cliff for a long time, put it that way. This is not for the faint hearted and we had some scared hikers, but all made it up (and back down). I remember the first time I ever hiked up to the top of Half Dome being really scared of heights, but now that stuff doesn't bother me too much, I even like the little rush. So needless to say I also enjoyed playing around on the jutting rock structures and going to the edge to get the best view straight down... good thing my mother wasn't around to watch me or she might have freaked (don't worry, I'm careful mother).

Anyway, it was a great trip of bothing bonding time with everyone and also a chance to see the beauty of God's creation here in South Africa. I mean, I can't look at something that beautiful and just, well, crazy, without seeing God's hand in it and being struck with awe. I'll try to get some pictures up of it soon, cause talking about the place just doesn't do it justice.

"The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands. Day after day they pour forth speech; night after night they display knowledge" Psalm 19:1-2

"Before the mountains were born or you brought forth the earth and the world, from everlasting to everlasting you are God." Psalm 90:2

2 comments:

sue clark said...

OK - so I freaked out just reading about you climbing out on overhangs. Being your mother is not for the faint of heart. God once again protected you. We have an awesome God.
Your Mom

Kaylee said...

Did you take pictures of this?