Friday, January 2, 2009

New Years Eve

Happy New Year to everyone. I hope you all got to do something fun or at least relaxing and enjoyable. New Years Eve is one of those holidays that just always seem to be over hyped and normally is a let down. To be honest with you, this year I was a little worried about the prospect of being at Lily for New Years Eve, just cause I thought the kids would be too crazy and out of hand for it to be enjoyable. But I also didn’t really feel like going out anywhere... not in South Africa, not on a mission trip.

So the compromise was that the other 4 volunteers and I went out to dinner and then came back to Lily for the late night celebrations. What resulted was a good fun night. Back at Lily they had 2 big barbeques going in Phase 2 (the boys half of Lily, where I live). From 11 till after midnight we hung around the barbeques as Warren and Mike helped the Ma’s barbeque food for all of the houses. The kids were really excited to be staying out late for the night and were in high spirits. I had a lot of fun just being goofballs with them, from jumping on the trampoline to racing around phase 2 to just sitting on my front step joking around. Earlier in the day Mike and I had gone and bought a bunch of fireworks from a guy selling them out of his car at one of the local supermarkets. Mike and I set off the fireworks in the middle of phase 2 (for all interested I still have all my limbs, thank you). Anyway, I love shooting off my own fireworks and we had some big ones, so that was fun, but the coolest part was seeing how excited the kids got watching them. Kids have such a passion for life that it seems only they can and it can be very invigorating to be around; New Years Eve was one of those times.

I hope the New Year finds you well. Blessings.

3 comments:

Kaylee said...

Were the fireworks as good as those on the 4th of July in Kankakee? =)

Pastor Mike said...

BBQ, trampolines, fireworks... you are really in your element!

Brad A. Greenberg said...

Dude, I couldn't agree with you more. New Year's Eve always disappoints. This year, for once, I went in with no expectations and had a nice time.

Glad it's 2009. Only a few months 'til you get back. Hope it's for good.