Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Honey Badgers and Cute Kids

So most importantly, I wanted to share with you my recent African discovery: the most awesome animal alive… the Honey Badger. Oh man, I just watched a National Geographic special on these guys and they rock my world. They are small but so fierce and feisty. They move, hunt and eat nonstop. They take on the worlds deadliest snakes with no fear and devour them for dinner. Then they chase off animals 4 times their size and even put up a good fight against big hunters like lions and leopards… it took a leopard an hour to finally finish off an old, slow, half blind female badger on her last legs when it takes them just minutes to kill bigger game… the Honey Badger never gives up. Seriously, inspirational those Honey Badgers.

Anyway, on to slightly more relevant matters… I was asked when I first got here (maybe even before) by a few friends to send them pictures of the cutest kids here and tell them which ones they should adopt if for some crazy reason they decided they were looking to adopt as singles in their early twenties… I definitely try not to rank kids and show favoritism, but for fun I set out to find good pictures of the 5 cutest kids at Lily to send to my friends. Well, as I was flipping through I soon realized 5 wouldn’t be enough and the list grew by a few kids… then a few more... then a few more. Eventually I just gave up and will probably never send the pictures. What this exercise did though, was really open my eyes to how much I love these kids. I mean LOVE them. Sure, there is still one kid who probably wins out on most physical cuteness contests and who we want to sign up as a child model (think about the profits it would bring in for this place… hmm)… but honestly each one of the kids is cute for different reasons and their individual personalities hold a special place in my heart. I thank God for giving me the time to spend with these kids. I’m definitely going to miss them when I go, I can’t help but think about it already. I’ve been here fourth months as of today!!! Craziness.

Anyway, please pray for us and the kids as they head back to school. Just that they value learning and try and advance, and that we can help them with that. Also continued prayers for focus, energy and health. Thanks!

No comments: